Vestax VCI‑300
Computer
PC
OS
Windows 8
Platform
-
sbrara 1:04 AM - 14 July, 2013
Hello, I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8. I no longer have the Install CD that came with the VCI 300 MKII, but downloaded the Serato 2.2.2 today with the hardware connected. Serato installed and runs fine but it cannot detect the Vestax Unit. I have tried connecting the unit via USB to all four ports. The power button is lit up, but the unit isn't completely on.

Please help!
Sam GG 10:11 PM - 15 July, 2013
Hey sbrara,

Could you please give me your computers full specs?

If you right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner of your desktop and select playback options does the VCI 300 show up in this list? If so make sure that your computers internal soundcard is set as the default device.

Can you check the unit on another computer to make sure that it is not a hardware issue? Also do you have a spare USB cable you could try?

Let me know how you go,

Cheers, Sam
1:57 AM, 30 Aug 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
sbrara 2:46 AM - 17 October, 2013
Hello,

I have had the Vetsax VCI-300 MKII for two and a half years. I stored it away last May and could not find the original black USB power chord and bought a new one online. Since then, I've tried to connect the unit to a 3 different computers, one Windows 8 laptop new, one desktop windows 7, and one windows 7 laptop. All computers initially detect the unit and then says unit hasn't installed correctly. They all make a usb connecting noise every 5 seconds or so. The power light is on but the rest of the unit doesn't turn on. When launching Serato Itch 2.2.2, it says hardware not connected. I am really bummed and perplexed on why the unit is not working. Is it possible the USB chord isn't supplying enough power (it is brand new). What type of chord is this called?
FabulousFrequencies 7:31 PM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
They all make a usb connecting noise every 5 seconds or so.

This is typically indicative of insufficient current supply to the unit. This can happen over USB power if the cable you purchased has poor conduction qualities, is too long, or the gauge of cable is too thin. Dirty contacts on the VCI or ill suited cable contacts can also lead to a failure to deliver the current necessary. This leads to a horrible initialization 'loop' during the startup negotiations between the controller and program.

What you need is a USB 'A' to 'B' cable. And you'll want it as short as you can get away with comfortably. I would go no longer than 6 feet, and prefer 3 if you keep the laptop close. A cable with a ferrite choke is recommended but not necessary. Photo here: www.startech.com

Alternatively you can use an external power supply. Barrel style jack, center pin positive. It should be a MINIMUM of 7.5 v-dc and 1a (1,000 mah) current yield. Voltage output should NOT exceed 9 v-dc. Savvy?

Let us know if this settles your issue. Good luck.
Sam GG 12:43 AM - 22 October, 2013
Hey Sbrara,

Fabulous frequencies has given you a real good tip here! Let us know if that solves your problem.

Sam
sbrara 6:08 AM - 30 October, 2013
I have now tried and spent money on 3 brand new USB A to B cables, this most recent one is 4 feet long. and the problem persists. If I was to go through an external power supply, how will the deck and computer work together? Can Serato/Vestax please please send me a new high quality usb cable, this is the way its worked in the passed and way it should continue to work. The unit is in mint condition and has hardly been used and was stored covered in a dust free environment.
Sam GG 12:21 AM - 1 November, 2013
Hey sbrara,

Have you checked this?
Quote:
If you right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner of your desktop and select playback options does the VCI 300 show up in this list? If so make sure that your computers internal soundcard is set as the default device.

Also, can you please try connecting the device to a computer running Serato DJ: serato.com

Let me know how you go,

Sam
FabulousFrequencies 1:23 AM - 1 November, 2013
Quote:
If I was to go through an external power supply, how will the deck and computer work together?

I suppose there is a chance the 5v regulator on your laptop is growing weak. That can and DOES happen on some models. You could confirm that by trying another PC, or using the external power adapter. When you use the adapter, you leave the USB hooked up and simply slide the power switch toward the jack. it will use the adapter for power but it still communicates via USB.
sbrara 3:29 AM - 4 November, 2013
Hi FabFreq & SamGG,

Thank you both for your help. You learn something new every day. I ended up just buying a really high quality Belkin A to B USB and the unit works just fine. You get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks, the issue is resolved.